The Wildiaries Experience
Barefoot in Africa
A two-country trip with Michael Jeh, to see the soft underbelly of real Africa. Sports life skills trainer for Australia’s elite athletes and long-time patron of the village of Humani in southern Zimbabwe, Michael will take you to see a part of Africa few tourists ever get to. On the way, you will experience huge herds of wild animals roaming the plains, and get the exciting chance to search for and track rare African Wild Dogs and Black Rhinos. All of this will be done with the security and knowledge that you are with someone who has a long-term relationship with the local people you visit and has built his business around supporting them. This is a truly exceptional tour with an exceptional leader.
- Tracking of African Wild Dogs and Black Rhino - two of Africa’s most enigmatic game species.
- Safari excursions by vehicle and on foot … chance to see the real Africa.
- Visit and support the villagers and school in Humani, who live inside a game park and help protect its wildlife.
- Spend time in Etosha (Namibia) where you will experience a huge abundance of African big game.
- Visit the romantic and beautiful Victoria Falls, an oasis in the heart of Africa.
- Travel with and meet the friends of your tour leader and be welcomed like a member of the family.
HOW IS THIS TOUR DIFFERENT?
There are a million ways to see Africa but only one in a million get to do it with someone who as special as Michael Jeh.
Travelling with Michael, you will travel in way few tourists ever get to. Michael is a long-time friend of the people who live in the places he visits. He’s welcomed here, as you will be, like a member of the family.
The tour starts in Etosha National Park, a place of almost legendary interest for safari-goers. The first few days is spent exploring each end of this huge park, with its abundance of large game including the chance of seeing Gemsbok or Oryx and even Cheetah. This is a very special place, popular with tourists but a must-do for the first part of your journey.
A short flight from Windhoek, we will stop at Victoria falls, enroute to Humani, for a day to visit this jewel in the African desert. Our charter flight the next day takes in the landscape of southern Zimbabwe and we land at a private air strip in Humani, where often we need to ‘buzz’ the runway to clear the elephants as we land. From here on, you are treated to an experience that few will ever get to discover.
Over the next few days, you’ll stay in a beautiful lakeside lodge just outside Humani village, where big game come in to feed and drink. You’ll take game drives each day, with the help of local village guides, with the aim of seeing two particularly special animals: African Wild Dogs and Black Rhino.
You’ll spend some time with the villagers, meeting them and learning their customs - you’ll be welcomed, with Michael, and see the work that’s been done there, supported by visitors like you. You’ll even go out with the rangers on ‘snare patrols’, looking for illegally-placed equipment used to poach bush meat from the park.
The people here are intimately connected with the animals and landscape and their work to protect their heritage and the education of their children is what will help preserve these special places into the future. The school kids have to be aware that lions, leopards and elephants can literally walk through the village at any time.
Past guests have found this part of the journey to be the most exciting and it will be an experience that will leave a lasting impression on you. You’ll depart with a deeper appreciation of one of the world’s richest natural environments.
Day 1 Arrive Johannesburg. Overnight Jo’burg. Meet your tour leader.
Day 2 Flight to Windhoek; meet guide and drive to Etosha NP (5h) western or Andersson’s Gate. Afternoon / evening spent on game drives in Etosha NP.
Day 3 - 5 Game drives and safari in Etosha. Accommodation at locations in the west and east. Drive to Windhoek late afternoon. Overnight, Windhoek.
Day 6 Morning flight to Victoria Falls - day viewing at the falls. Overnight Victoria Falls. Optional scenic flight.
Day 7 Morning charter flight to Humani, meet guide and drive to Humani (Savé Valley Conservancy). Afternoon/evening game drive.
Day 8-10 Visit Humani village and school; snare patrols; tracking wild dogs; game drives and walks.
Day 11 Breakfast departure from Humani to the Great Zimbabwe Ruins. Overnight in Masvingo.
Day 12 Drive to Harare, flight out to Johannesburg.
– Lisa F, Maleny, Qld
– Colleen (Hunter Valley, NSW)
Ask for Details
Or call Diverse Travel now
on 08 8234 8324 (Australia)
or +61 8 8234 8324 (if overseas)
- Tour leader and wildlife guide throughout your trip.
- All domestic flights.
- All meals (11 breakfasts, 11 lunches, 12 dinners)
- 12 nights of accommodation.
- All park fees.
- Transport and fuel in comfortable standard vehicles with driver and expert English-speaking local guides.
- All tips.
- Entry fees to parks and reserves with local guides.
- Transfers from / to airport.
- Room occupancy taxes.
- Luggage portage at hotel and airport
- Flight to and from Johannesburg (where your tour begins).
- Any pre/post tour accommodation and meals.
- Insurance of any kind.
- Any kind of beverages while in transit or at the lodge.
- Emergency rescue costs (local/international).
- Personal tips and gratuities
- All expenses of personal nature like laundry, telephone bills etc.
- Bank transfer charges (directly paid to your bank).
This tour is on request. Please ENQUIRE using the form (above).
Prices will be confirmed once we have minimum numbers confirmed and will be based on 2017/2018 rates when they are available.
The price of this all-inclusive trip would be in the vicinity of $AU750 per day per person, excluding international flights. Note, the tour is ex Johannesburg.
- We will ask you for a $500 initial deposit to reserve a spot on any tour.
- If we don't reach our minimum numbers for the tour, we will refund this.
- Otherwise, this is non-refundable, but up to 6 months prior to travel, can be transferred onto any other Wildiaries tour.
- Once a tour has reached minimum numbers, we will ask you to pay a 20% non-refundable deposit with the balance of payment due at least 60 days prior to travel (or sooner, depending on the supplier's terms and conditions).
Our licensed travel agent can arrange all travel to and from tour locations. We can also arrange fully-guided options as well as tailoring packages for families and groups travelling together.